Save Lives Donate Organs (SLDO, we, our, us) is an Australian registered charity that raises awareness of the public and community benefits of organ and tissue donation. SLDO is focused on promoting and facilitating a greater rate of organ donation and increasing the public and social benefit derived from organ donation in Australia.
We respect your right to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). We comply with all relevant requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
Your acknowledgement and consent
Users 16 and under
If you are aged 16 or under, you must obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us. If you do not have consent, you must not provide us with your personal information.
What is your personal information?
Collecting and holding personal information
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- age or birth date;
- profession, occupation or job title;
- other identification details;
- health information;
- medical history;
- your business contact details;
- your employment details;
- personal information when you seek to volunteer with us;
- your social media identity and posts;
- any correspondence between you and us;
- banking and payment details including tax file numbers, ABN, bank account information;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our fundraising events, website, application forms or other means; and
- any other personal information provided to us when you make an inquiry, request information, respond to marketing, complete our applications or lodge a complaint.
Sensitive information is defined by the Privacy Act to be certain kinds of personal information. Sensitive information that we may collect from you include health and medical information, for example medical or treatment history.
How do we collect personal information?
Where possible, we will always try to collect personal information directly from you – for example when you:
- complete our application forms;
- correspond with us in writing via our website, letters, emails, telephone or fax;
- provide us with documents;
- any personal information provided to us when you make an inquiry, request information, respond to marketing, complete our applications or lodge a complaint
- attend fundraising events; or
- meet with us in person.
We may also obtain your personal information from third parties we deal with, such as any person you authorise to deal with us on your behalf.
Why do we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
We collect, use and disclose your personal and sensitive information to enable us to provide assistance to individuals in their understanding, involvement with and support of organ and tissue donation, and to otherwise carry out our functions and activities.
In particular, we may collect, use and disclose your personal information in order to:
- process or consider your application for funding or other benefit from SLDO;
- provide you with information such as upcoming event information;
- respond to your requests or inquiries;
- enable you to make a donation or purchase a product from us online:
- enable you to engage in fundraising initiatives and awareness campaigns for SLDO;
- enable SLDO to communicate with you;
- if you lodge a complaint with us – process and respond to your complaint;
- do anything which you authorise or consent to us doing; and
- take any action we are required or authorised by law to take.
SLDO will not sell, trade or rent personal information we hold about you to unaffiliated third parties without your prior consent.
To whom may we disclose your information?
In carrying out our functions and activities set out above, we may disclose your personal information to the following:
- our volunteers;
- professional advisers, contractors or service providers who we have engaged or appointed to carry out, or advise us with respect to our functions, duties or activities;
- any parties with whom we have entered into an arrangement for the carrying out of our functions, duties or activities;
- promotional organisations for the purposes of these organisations promoting our events;
- suppliers we engage for data processing and other administrative and support functions;
- bodies to which we are authorised or required by law to disclose such information; and
- any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
If you consent to your personal information being used for direct communications, we may use your personal information to provide you with information about fundraising activities and other promotions. If you do not wish to receive such information, you can opt-out at any stage by notifying us.
There may be times, however, when the law requires us to provide certain information to you (for example health and safety information). We will continue to send this information to you.
Visiting our website
- Online payment systems
When you enter your payment details online, you are using a secure site which protects your information during transmission. Transactions are protected by encryption technology and a combination of firewalls and intrusion detection systems.
However, no transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure and accordingly, we cannot warrant or ensure the security of any information you provide us over the internet. Please note that you transmit information at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other sites of interest. SLDO does not control, and is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of those websites. Please check the Privacy Policies on each third party website before you provide your personal information to them.
We collect personal information from our followers/subscribers on social media channels including Facebook and Instagram. The information is used for the purposes of developing and displaying SLDO’s promotion materials as well as to send notifications via mobile applications regarding events.
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal and sensitive information from interference, loss, misuse or unauthorised access. This includes during storage, collection, processing, transfer and destruction of the information. We may store your personal and sensitive information in different forms, including in hardcopy and electronic form. We have established procedures and systems to keep your personal and sensitive information secure.
When we no longer require your personal and/or sensitive information, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or delete it in a secure manner.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Correcting your personal information
If you would like to access, update or correct the personal or sensitive information that we hold about you, please contact us using our contact details below. We will respond to a request to correct your personal or sensitive information within a reasonable time.
Accessing your personal information
You may also request access to the personal or sensitive information we hold about you by contacting us using our contact details provided below. We will respond to a request for access within a reasonable time – either by giving you access to the information requested, or by notifying you of our refusal to give access. We will not charge you an application fee for making a request to access the personal or sensitive information we hold about you or for requesting any correction to your personal information. However, in certain circumstances we may charge you a fee for providing you with access to your personal or sensitive information, for example if you make multiple requests for information.
Lodging a complaint
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident. We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint as soon as possible after receiving your written complaint. We will then investigate the circumstances of your complaint and provide you with a response within a reasonable timeframe.
Our contact details
Post: PO Box 11, Varsity Lakes, Qld 4218